|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
This picture shows the Lookout Cemetery located in Section 22 Township 23N Range 10W. The back of the photo has typed information on Lookout Church reading:
"Taken from the 90th Anniversary booklet of Lookout Lutheran Church, 1867-1957. 'Bennett Valley Congregation was organized in the year 1867. On the 23rd of May that year, a constitution was adopted by a number of Norwegian settlers living in Bennett Valley. The new congregation was given the name "Bennett Valley Manighed." In 1872, the original congregation was divided in two, the boundary line being "the large bluffs between Bennett Valley and town of Albion, and the settlements where Ole Harrison and several live."
"At first the congregation worshipped in homes and school buildings. In 1872, it was decided to build a church, and that on a location several miles northeast of Loookout. The location was a subject for discussion for several years. In January, 1877, the present location was agreed upon. In November of the same year, plans were made for building. Actual building seemed to have begun in 1879, but the church was not completed until 1881. In 1885, the church steeple was blown down in a storm. The old church was struck by lightning and burned to the ground in 1912. The present church stands on the old site and was completed in 1914. Some years later a basement was added to the church."