|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
This photo is of the Evanger Lutheran Church located in Section 23 Township 23N Range 10W (reference Town of Dover History). The church was built in 1876. The back of the picture has typed information attached which reads:
"History of Evanger Lutheran Church 1872-1972, Evanger Lutheran Church began as settlers, who had recently moved into the area, felt the need for spiritual guidance. Rev. R.J. Solberg was the first pastor to serve these settlers from 1871-1872, meeting in various homes. During this time these settlers were planning ahead for a permanent place of worship. In 1872 Rev. S. Berntzen accepted the call to serve as pastor. This same year the group met and adopted a constitution signed by the trustees: Hans Halvorson, Andrew Hanson, and John Iverson. The congregation adopted the name Luther Evanger Congregations (Hauge Synod). In the year 1874, the congregation held its first annual meeting at which the following officers were elected: President, Rev. Berntzen; Vice-President, S.N. Knutson; Secretary, Hans Halvorson; Trustees, Aslag Knutson, Hands Halvorson, and Andrew Hanson. This meeting was at the home of Nels Knudson. It was decided at this time that a church was to be built - 40' x 30' x 16'. It was decided to buy the church from Christopher Arneson. Various committees were elected to lay plans and make negotiations. The Articles of Incorporation were drawn up on May 16, 1874, under the name Den Norskelutherske Evanger Menighed. The church was built in 1876 at a cost of $2700."